J/30 Class Association

We will miss you Bonnie Schloss

Posted By: David Erwin

We will miss you Bonnie Schloss - 02/23/17 04:31 AM

Bonnie Schloss loaned Bear Away to Team Rafiki in 2011. Rafiki was the monkey from "The Lion King," whose name means "friend" in Swahili. I know this much to be true: after one unbelievable weekend sailing together on a borrowed J/30, we will always be friends. #Godspeed Bonnie Bear Away.

RAFIKI 2011 from Kate Hayes on Vimeo.

Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: We will miss you Bonnie Schloss - 02/23/17 12:19 PM

Sorry to hear the news. I met Bonnie when I was checking out Bear Away for the Rafiki team in 2011 as a loaner boat before the NAs. She was a very nice person and wanted to make sure she could help the J/30 Class with a loaner, or helping with the NAs.

There is a nice article posted on the J/30 website about Bonnie's experience buying Bear Away.

Fair Winds Bonnie
Posted By: Crusader586

Re: We will miss you Bonnie Schloss - 02/24/17 12:59 AM

A J/30 Sailor that will be missed, met her twice at NA's in Annapolis. Great lady and photographer. May you be SAILING in heaven.
Posted By: Bob Rutsch

Re: We will miss you Bonnie Schloss - 02/24/17 11:06 PM

Bonnie was an indomitable force of nature. I had great respect for her as a person and a sailor, though I'll admit she could occasionally drive me batty. Maybe that's why I liked her--always challenging preconceived notions. She did as much sailing as anyone in Annapolis, spending days and nights on her beloved J/30 Bear Away. She was a truly accomplished sailor and had her moments in the sun including winning the first race and finishing third overall in the 24 boat 1996 J/30 NAs.

The last time she sailed with me was during the Fall Series a couple years ago. She wasn't getting around very well but her knowledge of strategy and tactics were sharp. She stayed in the companionway, the spot my Dad occupied near the end of his life. Fair winds Bonnie, you will be missed by all who knew you here in the Annapolis fleet.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association