J/30 Class Association

Circus

Posted By: Anonymous

Circus - 02/03/04 10:43 PM

Do you think Circus will share any racing tips and tricks?
Posted By: Bernie Kucharski

Re: Circus - 02/04/04 04:26 AM

As long as you have rum for the entire crew, I am sure that they would.

Congradulations again to the crew of Circus

Bernie Kucharski
bkucharski@defiantracing.com
Posted By: D. Bartley

Re: Circus - 02/04/04 07:05 AM

Perhaps if Zephyr would be willing to share?
Posted By: David Erwin

Re: Circus - 02/04/04 07:24 AM

Sorry, Zephyr doesn't share rum until after the race is over.

FYI There is a very nice looking J/30 parked in NOYC's dry storage. Should be a nice MidWinters this year.

Re: Circus - 02/04/04 06:15 AM

Ok, so from a different Chicago boat, here's Circus' secret:

Elka
Posted By: Bob Rutsch

Re: Circus - 02/04/04 08:19 AM

Hooray Circus! With a line like that, they looked to be just 3 points shy of PHRF boat of the week.
Yesterday I was up an extension ladder, raking a foot of snow and ice off the office roof to stop a leak. Time to start planning for a Key West/Midwinter tour for 2005.

Re: Circus - 02/04/04 10:00 AM

As the add-on crew (purportedly) lending some local Chesapeake knowledge to the Circus crew at the last NA's, I think I can name a few things I saw they did that made them stand out:

Great teamwork.
Willing to try anything that made sense.
Starbucks double-shots before each race.
Mount Gay & Red Bull, on ice.

These guys are good. Watch out for them at the Mardi Gras regatta!

Great racing Mike, Christine, & crew! Glad to have had the opportunity with you.

Re: Circus - 02/05/04 04:08 AM

FYI, we have 25+ gusts from the East at the present time. Anyone remember last year's MidWinters?

By the way including a photo of Zephyr from last year's race. It was blowing...
[Linked Image] .

Re: Circus - 02/05/04 04:54 AM

Midwinters? Dayum, waz I there... somehow got lost at O'Briens and managed to forget most everything

Re: Circus - 02/05/04 05:39 AM

I'll pay premium $$$ or beverages for a photo of Northern Cuz in the French Quarter last year!

For those who want to come to Midwinters next year, please consider this string of events...

http://noyc.info/cgi-bin/webbbs_config.pl?read=12135
Posted By: Steve Buzbee

Re: Circus - 02/05/04 05:43 AM

Jeez, that picture looks a lot like the first race at the NA's in Annapolis (without the fifteen broaching boats behind Zephyr)!

Re: Circus - 02/05/04 03:15 PM

There were only 3 or 4 broaching boats at the Mids... or at least that's what they told me in the john at o'Briens
Posted By: Steve Buzbee

Re: Circus - 02/05/04 06:32 PM

Nope. I was there (and behind) and saw a whole bunch of broaches-some boats more than once. As far as I could tell, Zephyr didn't even start to roll.

Re: Circus - 02/21/04 04:21 AM

What material is the mainsail made of on the boat pictured above?
Posted By: D. Bartley

Re: Circus - 02/21/04 04:46 PM

It is North "Sharkskin", a polyesther cloth which has some dark polyesther threads.

Sharkskin was popular on J/105 which also require poly in their main. I believe North has discontinued that cloth because of quality problems.

Re: Circus - 02/21/04 09:18 PM

If there are quality problems in the sharkskin, we haven't discovered any. North Sails in New Orleans continues to make the sharskin main and #3 for J/30s.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association