J/30 Class Association

Main Sheet

Posted By: Taras

Main Sheet - 07/10/14 01:14 AM

I had had trouble releasing the main sheet in 20kts + which resulted in some pretty close calls when I h=needed to head down to avoid hitting other boats
I actually have to slam down on the sheet with my foot to get the cam to release. Is this a typical condition or should I be upgrading to a new fiddle Block and cam
I am pretty sure I have the original set up on a harken traveller

It would definitely cost less than the repair from a collision

Taras
Posted By: Rhapsody #348

Re: Main Sheet - 07/10/14 01:20 AM

I have a fine tune for final adjustment but still need to use my foot to get the sheet out of the cleat when it is blowing 20+.
Posted By: Michael L

Re: Main Sheet - 07/14/14 06:52 PM

I find that a combination of kicking and cursing is the most effective in 20+
Posted By: Jangles13

Re: Main Sheet - 07/15/14 11:39 AM

We switched to two-speed 3:1, 6:1 rather than the fine/gross 4:1, 16:1 and have found that the 6:1 is manageable even above 20kts apparent. I never really found the fine tune all that useful because the throw of it is only a foot or so.
Posted By: Blue J 503

Re: Main Sheet - 08/06/14 02:07 AM

We've had a few close calls jibing in heavy weather and rounding up towards oncoming boats while trying to release the sheet.
This Spring, I purchased a Harken trigger cleat. It had a much wider bolt spacing than the cleat fitted to my Hexaratchet, and calls to APS and Harken revealed that the trigger is only meant for a double-block setup.
Nevertheless, I was able to add shims and mount the cleat successfully. I'll try to remember to take pictures tomorrow.
The advantage of the trigger is that it has a cam action that releases the locking cams when the sheet is pulled further into the cleat (upwards in the case of the mainsheet).
Since mounting it, we really haven't had the heavy weather to test it, but it does release smoothly under moderate loads.
I'll give you an update when we've really had a challenge.
© 2024 J/30 Class Association