J/30 Class Association

Max Crew vs Max Crew Weight

Posted By: JPM

Max Crew vs Max Crew Weight - 09/29/17 06:49 PM

The 2013 Class rules indicate the following rule changes and interpretations effective 1 July 1999:

The Crew Limit has returned to the seven person limit that was in place from 1979 until 1993. Additionally, there are two alternatives for those who wish to carry more crew. Eight may be aboard if any three crew weights sum to 400 pounds or less, or any number may be aboard if their total weight is 1400 pounds or less. (6.7.1)

However, reading through the printed material that is dated "effective 2013" and going specifically to section 6.7 I find the following:

The maximum crew weight (in swimming apparel) for one design racing is 635 kg (or 1400 pounds) with no limit on number of crew. If the sailing instructions require a weigh-in prior to the start of a regatta a boat complying with the weight restrictions at weigh-in shall not otherwise be subject to a weigh-in during or after the regatta, except for weighing substitute crew. The crew limit may be waived or modified by local fleets or event organizers for any event other than the North American Championships or the Mid-Winter Championships.

Which is correct? I have a crew of 8 that does not exceed 1400 lbs which seems to be in compliance with section 6.7. However, we are not able to meet the "any three crew" less than 400 lbs which is mentioned in the "effective 1 July 199" paragraph.

I am racing a 2 day regatta here in Annapolis this weekend. Do I need to cut one crew member or am I in compliance?
Posted By: Bob Rutsch

Re: Max Crew vs Max Crew Weight - 09/29/17 07:20 PM

The Class has modified the crew limit several times. The reverse chronological timeline of changes on pages i to iii may overshadow the actual Class Rules and be the source of confusion. The changes and interpretations effective 1 July 2004 superseded those made 1 July 1999.

In the Rule 6.7 Crew Weight, it is 1400 lbs. You should be fine for this weekend.

Posted By: JPM

Re: Max Crew vs Max Crew Weight - 09/29/17 07:29 PM

Thanks, Bob!!

See you out there....should be almost perfect conditions!
© 2024 J/30 Class Association